This cardboard shoe tying craft is such a fun way for kids to learn how to tie their shoes! We have a free printable template kids can color too!
RELATED: Newspaper Hat
Cardboard Shoe Tying Practice
My book – Cut & Color Crafts for Kids: 35 Super Cool Activities That Bring Recycled Materials to Life is bursting with easy crafts and activities like this one. You get all of the templates in the back of the book. You just need to cut, color and create with everyday objects that you have at home!
You can get the template at the bottom of the post on the form with the preview of the template.
I love that kids can customize these shoes however they’d like! They can choose whichever colors they want to make the shoes and even add glitter, buttons or pom poms for extra embellishments. You can also create your own design by using the outline as your shape and drawing your own shoe.
Supplies To Make a DIY Cardboard Shoe Tying Set
- Coloring Supplies (markers, crayons, colored pencils)
- Shoelaces (approximately 30 inches long)
- Hole punch – you can also use heavy duty scissors, an X-acto knife or screwdriver to make the holes (adults only)
- Thin cardboard – from a cereal or snack box
- Glue stick
- Shoe template – You can get the template at the bottom of the post, on the form with a preview of the template.
Watch the Video Tutorial Here
Directions to Make the Shoes
1. Print off the shoe template.
You can get the template at the bottom of the post, on the form with the preview of the template.
2. Color the shoe template.
Kids can color or add designs to the shoes and make them unique too!
3. On a thin piece of cardboard, trace around the shoe shape and then cut it out.
You can also glue the shoe template to the cardboard and cut it out.
4. Glue the shoe template to the cardboard.
5. Hole punch the shoe lace holes.
You may need to use a heavy-duty hole punch or an adult can help create a hole by
making an X mark inside each hole spot with an X-acto knife or using a screwdriver.
6. Thread shoe laces through the holes.
Your shoes are complete and ready for kids to start practicing their shoe tying skills!
Get the Printable Template
Join our free weekly newsletter and get this shoe tying template sent to you!
For more fun recycled crafts, see both of my recycled crafts for kids books.
35 cut-out templates included for kids to color and create with!
Just Cut, Color and Create!
Transform paper rolls into an Awesome Paper Rocket or a set of Pretend Watches. You can even use egg cartons to make toy boats or a small-world jungle, desert or enchanting castle. Discover some of these other fun craft projects for kids:
- Paper roll dinosaur
- Cardboard robots
- Build your own puzzle
- Ice pop stick superheroes
- Egg carton scavenger hunt
- Bubble wrap mermaid
Also Available At: Barnes and Noble | Target | Indiebound | Books a Million | Book Depository