For a fun and simple New Year’s activity – try this free printable New Years Word Scramble! It also comes with an answer sheet so you can easily solve all of the words!
RELATED: New Years Bingo
Free Printable New Years Word Scramble
This is a fun activity kids can play on New Year’s Eve to ring in the new year. Or play it on New Year’s day!
Just print it off and kids can try to solve the words before the countdown.
Pair this with our New Years Bingo or New Years I Spy games too!
This is a fun low-prep activity that you can set up within minutes. Simply download, print, and start unscrambling these New Year’s words!
Get the free printables at the bottom of the post.
Some tips you can give to kids to help them unscramble the words:
- Look at the vowels and consonants separately
- Think of words that you know that are New Years-themed. Write them out. Can you see any letters in some of these words?
- Sometimes mixing up the letters on your own can help. Re-write the letters in a different way and see if anything familiar pops out.
- For younger kids, write out all of the answer words on the sheet for them to look at.
There is also a full answer sheet for all 15 word scrambles so you can easily identify the answer for kids.
Kids will love trying to guess these words while waiting to ring in the New Year!
You can play two ways:
- See who can solve them all first for a prize
- Set a time limit and see how many they can answer!
Ways to use this New Year’s Eve Word Scramble:
- Print off for an easy table activity during your New Year’s dinner. This is also fun to play with our New Years Would You Rather cards.
- Laminate and use with dry erase markers in classrooms as an early finisher activity.
- Have a competition who can solve them all the fastest.
- Follow this activity with a game of New Years Bingo.
Ways to extend this activity:
Extend this activity further by having kids come up with their own words to scramble. These can be celebration words or even New Year’s resolution ideas. They can then quiz siblings, parents or classmates on the words they scrambled on their own.
Help kids learn what to focus on during the coming year by finishing off the night with these Free New Year’s Resolution Printables. They’re a great way to teach kids how to reflect on the past year.
Get the Free Printable Word Scramble
Note: this printable is for personal or school use only.
See more New Years activities: